Sunday, March 29, 2009

a hack job

During breakfast yesterday my four year old asked why Mulan cut her hair. That should have tipped me off. That or the crazy blonde wig she was wearing. It wasn't until she removed the wig and was walking out of the room that I noticed her short ponytail and it all came together. As soon as I saw how short her hair was I stopped her, took the ponytail holder out and could see the creative haircut she'd given herself. A little cut here and a little more there, and I started to go into "but we're leaving for Disneyland on Monday" mode and while I didn't want to add another thing on my already-full "to do" list, I knew that she couldn't see the Disney princesses in her current botched haircut state. Even she said it, "Belle is going to be sad." I was a little sad, too.


So, I calmly (yes, I even impressed myself) asked her where the hair was, where the scissors were, and went in a blur up the stairs to find both under the futon in the play room. Chunks of hair everywhere, I guess she thought that if she hid the hair we wouldn't be able to notice her very obvious new hairdo.

It was early enough in the day that we just hurried and got ready and ran over to the nearest hair cutting place and were able to get right in. And, the smart salon lady who understood our plight did a beautiful job of disguising the chunky layers Hailey had cut into her hair. Isn't she still a cutie?


I kinda like the new cut, but it sadly makes her look older and I'm not quite ready for that. I think the Princesses will like her new 'do.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh No!! I am sorry Becky. At least she didn't do it on a Sunday morning...she would have had to go to church that way. Her new haircut is cute though. I guess she won't be doing that again.

beckyjune said...

Ellie, i sure hope not. And, I hope her little sister doesn't get any ideas...

Michelle said...

I think this is common amonst little girls...I did it when I was about 3 or 4. So far so good with my 5-yr old, but I'm afraid it'll happen sooner or later...She's still an absolute cutie!!!