Sunday, July 5, 2009

and a happy 4th of July

We are so blessed to live in this great country, the United States of America. And, as trite as it might sound, I am proud to be an American where at least I know I'm free. Despite the varied difficulties faced by citizens in this country, in spite of the issues faced in government and despite the silent battles going on in the private lives of people across the country we are so very blessed. And, yesterday as I watched the soldiers carry the American flag I became choked up and felt a great amount of pride for this wonderful land I am fortunate to call my home. I stood in awe and quiet gratitude for the men and women who have fought so hard to protect our freedoms and remembered the many who have lost their lives in that pursuit.
I have lived in another country and know of the devastation and heartache as well as incredibly difficult times faced by the Bolivian people as I became immersed in their culture. Even now political unrest is a daily thing they face. I am so very blessed. Blessed to believe as I choose, blessed to be a woman and have so many rights that many others are vehemently denied, blessed to have my family here with me in the shelter and relative calm of our own home. I am so very blessed. So, today I share a few images of my family as we enjoyed the 4th of July parade yesterday. I hope it was a wonderfully inspiring day for you as well.

This is my mother-in-law, one of the most patriotic people I know. Hailey waving her flag proudly as the parade procession went by; her hand on her heart as the men passed by with the American flag.

Our little Aimee

Marc and Ginger were in town for the 4th of July, which just so happens to be his birthday. So we all enjoyed the parade together, hopped up on sugarey donuts from Krispy Kreme!! They were quite a hit with the kids.

I see you, Sarah!! (some binoculars she was lucky to catch from the Sonic float)

Hailey and Sarah


Blake, Ty, Hailey and Sarah


The cousins minus Spencer and Aimee who were strapped into their strollers for
most of the parade, and happily so.

Cute Hailey


And, it just wouldn't be a west Texas parade without a few tractors!

I hope that you all had a wonderful 4th of July!!

1 comment:

Jamie Cotter said...

Looks like the parade was half-decent. Looks like y'all had fun. Marc and Ginger look bored however. LOL